1st Casket Spray

Dec 15, 2010
WRENS
State / Prov
GA
IMAG1471.jpg
Please critique me on my first casket spray. I have not had any professional floral
training, just my crazy ideas, ubloom.com, & FC :}
Family was not paticular, so they let me go with idea I had dreamed up.
(He used to process deer, that is actually his antlers.)
Was soo excited about designing, that I didn't even think about highth being a problem
for the hearse. However, it worked out just fine to deliver to the Church, since I had
to deliver the bouts. there too.

It's always great when you can make it personal, like including the antlers. I would bring that safari sunset down on top. I think I would have used a different color spray rose instead of white, perhaps an orange spray rose? Some more curly willow type branches too. I'd be tempted to add some green buttons. JMO. Congrats on your first casket spray!

Color is crazy important in design. Just FYI- when you use white it difusses the color of your arrangement by like 60% or something crazy like that. To keep with the dark rich colors I for sure would have done with a different color rose- but I sort of like the white.

You really should have made the casket spray flatter- so to speak and a bit more elongated and maybe even a bit draping in the front. I cannot stand to see a casket spray not have flowers in the back. I obviously can't see the back of this- but I hope there is flowers back there.

The casket spray may have worked out fine when you delivered it to the church- but when the FH delivered it along with the deceased in his casket- unless they were using a van (yes I have seen a van hearse) there more than likely was problems.

You had a nice concept and had this been a floor peice I'd say "not too shabby". For a casket piece, I say it needs a little work, mainly because of the height issue.
Keep in mind you want to get refferals from the FH. If they don't like your work- thay wont refer you.

Also- I really love grouping flowers together to make a bolder statement. "polka dot-ing" the flowers evenly spaced is OK, but check out some nice websites and you'll see what I mean.

But all in all- OTHER than the height (which really is critical in casket sprays) It's a pretty good job.

I wish I could see your mechanics! Flower placement is one thing- but bad mechanics is another.
Be sure to always commit to the insertion...Once a flower is placed- leave it! Don't be pulling flowers and picks and such out and reinseting them. It will destroy your foam and the piece will fall apart. And make darn sure your flowers are in deep- in all your work- you don't want them falling out AND they have a better chance of staying hydrated the deeper they are in.

Question- How did you secure the antlers?

Post some of your other work- I'd like to see it! How long have you been designing?

For height we were told no higher then 12". A quick way to see if you are over the top, so to speak, is to use a piece of computer paper (8.5"x11.5") if it is taller then that it's to tall. As far as length you can ask your directors what they prefer. We do 36" from side to side. When doing closed casket we center, when doing open casket it is shorter on the side closest to where the lid will be open.

I love the way it's personalized. The antlers really blend into the piece and become one with the flowers. I agree about the white, another color may have blended a bit better.

Excellent for your first try, in my opinion :)

I'd say, "for your FIRST shot at it, ya done pretty darn well!!"
Asking for criticism is like looking for a tree to drive your car into......over many yaers, we have done cluster sprays, flat longs, complete circles, blankets, and "traditional" 3 points", and they ALL have their merits, and they ALL have a purpose, ESPECIALLY with the "theme" that you introduced!
Let's wait and see what the family says......IF THEY liked it, then we have NO reason to give you grief!

I like the idea of orange spray roses, original plan was to use cream stock, but supplier was out of. Also planned on orange alstro, also out of.
The idea had crossed my mind about using curly willow upright, however was skeptical it would look to rough. It prob. would have been fine though.
Sometimes tend to over think. And yes, I will definately design shorter from now on. Thanks for the measurements, Lori.
Note: the family was to take the dahlias, red roses, & proteas out of the design for keepsakes, perhaps that's why I polka-dotted flowers? Niece didn't
like the idea, so she wanted to make sure it didn't look too picked over. I do like the clustered design technique and am starting to do more of.
Yes, there are flowers on back-side, not overly full though.
Mechanics: there was a few I moved. I agree, it can wreck the foam- I keep to minimum when needed. Not to mention flower ends could end up in
a hole cavity :{
Secured the antlers with 25lb. fishing line- 4 lines double knotted for each, attatched to wire picks. Made 2 of those and attatched to each side of
antlers. Also glued picks into foam with oasis glue.
I have been designing for 9 years. {7 Years just special occasions & Valentine's Day- Designed from home}
Have had flower shop inside our Hardware store for almost 2 years. I am the only florist in my town. Looked at buying Designs by Steve 3 years ago
which had been in business 15 years. However they had 3-4 full time employees and I wanted to be doing the work myself, not managing employees.
Thanks for all the wonderful pointers!
Yes, the family said it was gorgeous. (Always hold my breath until I know they love it! Have only had 1 complaint I couldn't resolve out of 3. And that
was for a fruit basket. The father was furious that his son sent him fruit. He said "What kind of gift is that?" I asked what we could do or give him. He
said "Nothing." However he was from Gibson (where it's a whole different culture).
Following is some of my sympathy designs. Ship was for Great Uncle who used to work on commercial fishing boats.
Thanks again for all ya'lls feedback, ideas, etc. I may not have had the courage to start designing casket sprays if it were not for my ability to refer
to such professionals as FC Members.

SHIP SHAPE FLORAL SPRAY & STAND $220 .jpgBASKET OF COMFORT $125 .jpgFOND MEMORIES $99.99.jpgIMAG0042.jpgKIEDLESCOPE CROSS $105 .jpgSERENITY GARDEN WREATH $155 .jpgIMAG1264.jpg

I liked it very much. I am with Shannon on the white spray roses, but then I kinda liked them. For some reason I could see them especially if he had a white shirt on. I really liked how you had the antlers in there with the pin cushion protea. Very nice. I was like you, no professional training and no guidance, just did it. I was very unconventional and my customers loved it. Sorry to say, as time has gone on, I have conformned to what is considered more the norm. I am not happy about it because I think when you do that you lose your touch to speak. Do not lose your touch. You do a very nice job and I can imagine that most of your customers are very happy. Keep up the good work! :)

You don't have to lose your sense of individuality when getting more training in the more conventional styles, it benefits in that it teaches you the basics so that you can go another direction with confidence. I really think you could benefit with some professional training, all of us have benefitted from it at one time or another. Your work shows a novice, and learning good mechanics and design basics is important, you learn about color, balance, proportion, depth and mechanics, all essential to beautiful design work. I never stop learing from professionals, every chance I get I look at how a piece was designed, what colors they used, why did it catch my eye that I liked it so much. It's my opinion that if a person is going to have a floral business they need training to produce a professional product that is a credit to the floral industry, you show promise and talent, training would give you a leg up. There are several GOOD sources that have videos online that teach basics of floral design, you'll have to search through to find ones that know what they are talking about. UBloom is one site that has several training videos, J does a good job with those and he is a credit to the industry, many of his videos are a beginner level. Sorry to be so frank, don't want you disillusioned and feel that training is unimportant. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress, it's a long road and frustrating at times. Repetition is your teacher, with each piece done in the same style you get better as long as you have someone to critique your work. Do you have a friend that may have been trained in the floral business that can help you?

I agree with Tuberose. I think you would benefit from classes and networking with other professional florists. I know Georgia has a state Florists association. They probably host workshops and classes. I have been in the floral industry over 40 years and will continue to attend workshops, conventions, and anything from business seminars to design workshops offered by floral associations. I always learn something!

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I didn't comment because Shannon covered the entire design beautifully.

In looking at the next album of images you posted, I first want to say that the white wreath of lilies and roses could go onto my website proudly, it could even be in a selection guide ~ Nice Job! :)

The rest of them have good form and the colors are nice too. They all lack a focal point though. The standing spray with alstro and roses is the most glaring. Running the roses throughout the spray as a "skeleton" would be much more impactful, especially if you cluster 3 in the center.

When I started 31 years ago, I produced pretty much the same as you. Perfectly salable, but lacking in pizazz. As others suggested, this is an ongoing process for all of us. We continue our education through this forum as well as going to shows that wholesalers host and slurping up whatever is published in magazines such as Florist's Review and Flowers &.

Tuberose had a great suggestion about studying other designs to really look for what it is that draws or repels you. After a while, a theme will develop, and you will really see the impact a design can gain with great line and focal area.

I think your strength is creativity. It shows in both the inclusion of the antlers and also the basket of yellow and white flowers on the stand. Bringing the raffia down to include the easel is a sign that you are looking at an over-all picture of harmony.

Congratulations on doing your first casket spray, btw, I still remember my "first" of pretty much everything new. ;)

I too think the white wreath was the best of the bunch. Honestly- I could not make out what the first design even was and then I saw "ship shape" and I thought "Oh'

I agree that a bit of education is in order. I personally love TF education center in Oklahoma City. I took a beginning design class after being in the biz for about 25 years and winning design contests. and I learned a lot. During the 25 years before the class I went to tons of shows- but there is nothing like taking a class. There are lots of great schools all over the country. I have personally only taken 2 classes at TF in OKC, and perhaps that's why I love 'em so much.

Let me add to this.....You may be thinking that, "if I take some of these classes and learn the 'rules'" - that it will destroy your creativity. I can assure you, NOTHING can be further from the truth. It will only enhance your creativity because you will learn the HOWS behind some of the more creative designs you see.

I wish I could have taken some design courses. I've had to learn by trial and error :( . I agree about the mechanics. Nothing ruins a great design piece as much as the mechanics can. Like it falling apart when delivering it or the flowers dying prematuerly. Since I was a 1 person shop for so long and was not able to get away it was hard to think about closing up and going somewhere for a class and not to mention I was already in my mid 40's when I accidently fell into the flower business AND I never had worked in a flower shop so I didn't even know where to buy flowers let alone know there were classes and schools to go to. I've had some very good and creative designers that have worked for me that taught me alot and I appreciate each and every one of them for what they brought to my store and to my business. Our store is in the Western part of South Dakota and I can remember only 1 time many years ago that Ardith (sp?) from Koehler & Dramn came to a place in Sturgis, SD about a 20 minute drive from here and gave a hands on class. Only once in all of these years! Anyway we went and my daughter, who works with me, did the hands on and learned how to do a handtied bouquet. Knowledge she still has today :) Everytime I see her doing those kind of bouquets, usually wedding bouquets, it reminds me of that one class. By the way, I never participated in the class because I was afraid to try in front of the others there, so to this day I have not done a properly made hand tied european style bouquet. I could learn but just running the flower shop is full time in itself! We go to North American Wholesale, across the state from us on the western edge of SD, and go to some of their design shows and learn alot. Also last year we were in Denver, CO in August for their gift show and we overheard a florist talking saying she was going to a design show the next day at Amato's wholesale house in Denver! We approached her and found out that the wholesale shop is just around the corner from the Denver Merchandise Mart and so we got to go to that show. I forget the ladies name, I know she is well known, sorry :(, never the less, it was wonderful. I know these are not classes, per say, but you can learn so much and get inspired to try new and different things. Like the saying goes, "Knowledge is power", and it gives you the ability to move forward and improve, improve and improve. There are so many things I want to learn and try yet, such as the clustering you mentioned. I have a hard time doing that and I am sure I could learn much from a class. You seem like a humble person, willing to learn and try new things, that is nice to see! I'm glad the family was happy and like I tell my employees, "Forward Ho"! :)

Wow, I had no clue my designs were so terrible. Thanks for clueing me in. However, I'm a bit puzzled over the ship design confussion as I specificly had a lady come to me & commented that mine looked like a ship. She'd ordered a ship design in the past from another florist, but it had looked nothing like a ship. There were no negative comments or others who asked what it was. Maybe just the picture?
I realize now, after I've purchased the 1 year FC membership, that perhaps I'm on the wrong floral forum since I'm not professionally trained and my shop is
located in a very rual area. Definitely see that I'm too low in the ranks to keep posting. I'm sorry to have embarressed ya'll.

Oh no honey don't feel that way! I'm a newbie here too. The posters really do just want to help, and your designs are NOT terrible! I've been in the biz 3 years, knew nothing when I started, only got prof training at my state florist convention last sept. I liked it so much I went to their bridal show class, and last weekend a 2 day class by an AIFD member thru my association. Plus I'm lucky I inherited a great designer. I do know how you feel, I attended a webinair for a product for florists last nite and was politely told by them that I was between a rock and a hard place, that I was in too rural of an area, my market was saturated with too many florists for the population, I didn't have enough volume, and they couldn't help me. I was depressed for 5 minutes. That's not gonna stop me though! I like competition. ((hugs))

Karen, with that attitude you will succeed. I have never, except in the case of trying to put wine in my store, (all together another story! ), let anybody tell me I could not do anything. In fact, I considered it a challenge. Determination is what you need and never say no! And, by the way, I now have the wine from the company I wanted avaliable for sale in my store :)

Merita, I complimented you on your casket piece. I told you I had no professional training and I am a successful business women of over 20 years. Glean what you can and let the rest go. Don't give up on Flower Chat. There is much to learn here. You were very brave in asking for everyones opinoins, I would never have had the courage to do that as I fear rejection. I feel beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We all see things differently. Please stick around :)

Merita....IF you "freak out" over what we've said, then please, by all means, climb back INTO your "shell"......you "asked", we've responded, IF it's NOT what you wanted to "hear", then DON'T ask..........
I for one, am HAPPY that you "asked"........:)

Merita..... don't be discouraged. Not every design I make is picture worth or design perfect.. but what the heck. I HAVE HAS NO FORMAL TRAINING IN A FLORAL SCHOOL. I make what is in my heart. Are their arrangements that are not exactly design perfect.. absolutely!! Did my customer love them... YES!! That is all that matters in the end.

Study, Study Study.... other peoples design and take classes or design shows. Practice, Practice Practice so that you can be the best that you can be.

Also, if it wasn't for flowerchat.. I would have probably closed shop and ran with my tail between my legs, but being the fighter that I am.. I pess onward. I glean tons of information, input where I can and leave the rest.

Don't ask if you don't want to hear the truth. Ask if you want to learn more. Not everyone can sugar coat... it's just not them. You will get to see that. Everyone is here to help.