Funeral Pics

Terri, She has the cricut expression model it holds the 12" paper. Mom said the small one is a total waste of money. They are under 200.00 at hobby lobby and walmart. Also if you buy regular paper she has a XYRON machine that puts the adhesive on the paper. The machine is like 25.00 and the cartridge refills are under 10.00 - be sure to use the repositional not permanent - so you can stick and unstick as necessary.
Also you can hook the cricut to your computer and use a program called design studio (by provo) You can use any font at any size and really design about anything.
Please feel free to e-mail my mom at [email protected] her name is Janet and honestly she's very down to earth and loves this stuff. I don't do any of it.

Reactions: terri
Outdoorsman (as you can clearly tell by the pictures at the funeral home)

100_3723.JPG100_3732.JPG100_3720.JPG100_3718.JPG100_3721.JPG100_3722.JPG100_3729.JPG

and no I didn't do that squatty little thing next to the plant...

Jenifer and Rhonda, love the designs!

The cricut is a great tool, I think many of you would benefit from one. I also use my scrapbook alphabet stickers for memorial work.

In Western PA, we do overheads most of time instead of casket sprays. This is the first time the customer requested no roses.
View attachment 14287

Sue,

When you say "overhead" do you mean the spray is up on the lid? I've seen pictures of them but I've NEVER done one, I don't even know what the mechanics are. I've always wondered how you keep it from dripping and how it's attached. I would be very interested in learning about it.

Reactions: KABERS
I remember a zillion years ago a western PA florist wanted to order a sheaf of wheat for a local Mass funeral. Said it was very traditional out there. Is that still the case?

Yes, we are pretty traditional and we still do sheafs of wheat. We are showing the John Henry sympathy book and some of our more forward thinking customers are choosing things from there. The overhead pictured was adapted from one of the casket sprays in that book.

We also get lots of requests for Steeler colors and items for the funeral. I'm working with one woman who wants to incorporate a Steeler beer mug into an arrangement.

Sue,

When you say "overhead" do you mean the spray is up on the lid? I've seen pictures of them but I've NEVER done one, I don't even know what the mechanics are. I've always wondered how you keep it from dripping and how it's attached. I would be very interested in learning about it.

Yes, the spray is usually attached to the lid. Our local funeral directors all have lid racks that look like big metal mug racks. They are expandable like an accordion and have rubber covered clamps that attach to the lid. They often bungee cord the rack down to the handles of the casket in back, also, to balance the weight of the spray.

Florists have different ways of doing them, but I'll share our way: We use a full sheet of green styrofoam and an 18" racquette. The soaked racquette is placed in the middle of the sheet and three holes are made into the styro on the top and on the bottom of the racquette. We twist three chenille for each of the three holes and pass them over top of the racquette, down through the holes and twist them in back. The funeral director impales the stryofoam onto hooks on the rack and twists the chenille to secure it. I usually cut 3" pieces of hyacinth sticks along the bottom of the racquette to help support the weight (so it's not all just hanging on the chenille).

From that point, I just start greening and flowering right into the raquette. I have a 5' space with a small shelf that I work at. I rest the top of the styro on the shelf, which allows the racquette to drain while I'm working. I made one late this afternoon and stood it almost upright against the wall on a shelf in my walk-in. By tomorrow when it's delivered, it won't be dripping.

I know florists that tube all the flowers, but I think that takes much too long. This works for me. I have to make another one tomorrow, so I'll try to take pictures of the mechanics for you.

Yes, the spray is usually attached to the lid. Our local funeral directors all have lid racks that look like big metal mug racks. They are expandable like an accordion and have rubber covered clamps that attach to the lid. They often bungee cord the rack down to the handles of the casket in back, also, to balance the weight of the spray.

Florists have different ways of doing them, but I'll share our way: We use a full sheet of green styrofoam and an 18" racquette. The soaked racquette is placed in the middle of the sheet and three holes are made into the styro on the top and on the bottom of the racquette. We twist three chenille for each of the three holes and pass them over top of the racquette, down through the holes and twist them in back. The funeral director impales the stryofoam onto hooks on the rack and twists the chenille to secure it. I usually cut 3" pieces of hyacinth sticks along the bottom of the racquette to help support the weight (so it's not all just hanging on the chenille).

From that point, I just start greening and flowering right into the raquette. I have a 5' space with a small shelf that I work at. I rest the top of the styro on the shelf, which allows the racquette to drain while I'm working. I made one late this afternoon and stood it almost upright against the wall on a shelf in my walk-in. By tomorrow when it's delivered, it won't be dripping.

I know florists that tube all the flowers, but I think that takes much too long. This works for me. I have to make another one tomorrow, so I'll try to take pictures of the mechanics for you.
prep.jpgoverhead prep.jpg

family work today

The deceased was 108 - so amazing. Aren't the phal. Orchids beautiful? They're fake and I paid less than 5.00 a stem (that's one stem) from CRI. I know a lot of you don't do silk, but I do pretty well with custom silk arrangements and love it when a customer has to ask, Is that real?

Attachments

• spring casket spray with orchids.jpg
    spring casket spray with orchids.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 30
  • spring spray 1.jpg
    spring spray 1.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 27
This one just came out so nice and wanted to share it.
sp34.jpg

100_3088.JPGI have to take this one to the cemetary tomorrow to set up. The funeral director took one look at the joined arrangements and said "you will be there right?" They are not really joined just placed to look like it. I hope its not raining tomorrow!