Funeral Pics

All of the pics are beautiful & the talent is so great from all of you! What I would like to know is how you all are pricing out your funeral work. What mark up are you using on the flowers & the hardgoods, & than what about the labor? So many of these beautiful designs have lots of flowers in them, along with specialty flowers & took some time to make. So how do you charge for this kind of work? Thanks!

All of the pics are beautiful & the talent is so great from all of you! What I would like to know is how you all are pricing out your funeral work. What mark up are you using on the flowers & the hardgoods, & than what about the labor? So many of these beautiful designs have lots of flowers in them, along with specialty flowers & took some time to make. So how do you charge for this kind of work? Thanks!

I have a basic price for each, like a casket spray with greens and labor and filler is $50. Need a minimum of 2 dozen flowers, like roses, to make it full enough. Flowers are charged at regular price, in my case, $39.99 per dozen wrapped. So, it would be $130.00 for a casket spray with two dozen roses.

Reactions: FANCIES
When making custom designs, specific shapes that require extra labor, like cutting sculpting sheets, and special mechanics, I use the regular 3x mark-up on fresh and 2x on hardgoods with a 50% labor. It all depends on the amount of time required, I might do less.

Reactions: FANCIES
this isn't the best pic. But I love making casket sprays that are meaningful to the family and say something about the deceased. These were his boots, he won't be needing them anymore. I love the smell of leather almost as much as flowers. Yes i'm weird.

Attachments

• casket spray.jpg
    casket spray.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 44
I actually used the cascading saddle but added a styrofoam extension to support the boot end. I also used a small bridal holder on the far right to help create the cascade.
At the funeral home I added a moving monarch butterfly high up in the branches (thanks again Clay for the info). They are so beautiful.

White-Wreath.jpgTropical-w-shells.jpgWhite-and-Green-Easel-Spray.jpgTropical-Art-Design.jpgWhite-and-Green-Sympathy.jpg And a few more.... The second arrangement was ordered as a 'Design Your Own' via our website with the customer requesting a bright tropical that included sea shells and woven foliages.

We emailed a photo to the purchaser of the white easel (third picture) and she wrote us a '5 Star' review. :) Many customers really appreciate getting pictures, especially if they are far away.

It must be nice to have space in your shop to set up for photos.
Not really much space. The easels are shot on an ivory painted wall in our design room and the other pieces are shot on a 4 X 8 sheet of matte white Formica.

Cathy, May I ask about the spray with peonies? How do they hold up in foam, as I have only ever used them in water or hand-tieds? Thanks.
They hold up fine in foam if they've been conditioned well. :) We used Standard Oasis (not Deluxe) so it released more water to the flowers.

Here are a couple from recent funerals. The pink one is for a person who had breast cancer. Now that I have a digital camera again, and am taking more pics, I can see where I would love to photoshop a few things. On the Hogarth, that piece of delph in the upper right, can you just shorten that and move it a little more to the left. Dang, those things bug me, and after the fact, of course.

Attachments

• Breast Cancer Arr (2).JPG
    Breast Cancer Arr (2).JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Hogarth color.jpg
    Hogarth color.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: LOTAKIDS and CHR
Now that I have a digital camera again, and am taking more pics, I can see where I would love to photoshop a few things.

yes, I so agree that after we take pics, the pieces have been delivered, that we see the flaws in the design. But they looked so good "in person" LOL.... Then I have to wait for the next service (and hope I have time to view the pics before delivery) to get some more pics. Still trying to get pics on my website that are more "normal" for our area and finish getting rid of FTD images... Nice easel spray though!

In the last few days i've done funeral flowers for diehard cubs fans. One was 98 and the other - my uncle at 89. Never to see the cubs win a world series, They still never gave up on the cubs. Don't you think thats so sweet in a pitiful kind of way?

I feel we are getting more requests for nontraditional and keepsakes.

Attachments

• afghan.jpg
    afghan.jpg
    878.9 KB · Views: 28
  • afghan tribute.jpg
    afghan tribute.jpg
    828.5 KB · Views: 24
  • cubs tribute.jpg
    cubs tribute.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Dee Dee
Jenifer your cub fan spray is very very nice. looks like perfection to me. excellent work. the other one with the blanket is very nice also. was that a silk piece? do you have one on display in your store. I have never sold anything like that. We do lots of basket arrangements & put figurines in them like a bear, horse, etc. I also like to do nontraditional pieces. I am doing a casket piece tomarrow with colors to match a star quilt, colors are purple, orange, yellow & white. I'm going to be using lots of purple motsumotos, blush roses, yellow spiders & some white. I was wondering, how much did you charge for the cub spray & how did you do the baseball in the middle? Beautiful work!

Reactions: KABERS
The cubs spray was 150.00. It's a felt-type pennant in the center that was 8.00 from a sporting goods store. The afghan is with a silk wreath that the family can still enjoy without the throw. We've been trying to come up with other ways of displaying them in the funeral home besides draping on an easel. Your casket spray sounds beautiful...hope you take pictures.