Wedding Pictures

For those of you who are un-comfortable or unsure about cascade bouquets, let me give you an old-timer's tip. This hearkens back to my beginning days in the industry.

You can do this as early as Wednesday or Thursday before the Saturday wedding and be fine. After you create the bouquet, take and place it in your cooler inside a large plastic bag, something like a dry-cleaner's garment bag. Mist the inside of the bag and blow into it to inflate it slightly so that the bag is not resting directly on the flowers. Tie a knot to seal the bouquet inside and leave it there.

Unwrap the day of the wedding and you will find the blooms will be very turgid, crisp, and hold up better than if you made the bouquet the day before or the day of.

I do mine in dry foam and I dont have a cooler. I actually dont mind making them up in the morning and really dont think i would be comfortable doing them before.

Thanks so much for the tips though.. :)

If we're using an oasis holder,we fill a vase to the top with water & sit the bqt. right in. The openings on the bottom of the holder is the water source for days. If the whole thing is wired (1970s?) Rickys suggestion is the way to go.

Christmas Wedding in a private residence last weekend:

Flower Girl Pomander (there were 2 and both were carried by 2 girls, which is why the ribbon is a bit longish)

244x300.aspx

Bride's Bouquet (she insisted no wide than 8" since she's like a size 0)

301x300.aspx

Food area (Large design a top glass vases filled with silver branches)

262x375.aspx

Ceremony Area

338x425.aspx

The bride wanted a white and silver winter look with black accents (since the groom's last name is Black.) We used loads of crystals but they really don't show in my on-the-fly photos. Hope the professional photographer got better shots.

A few other photos are also in our blog gallery.

Lovely work Cathy, I am finding more and more people are wanting pommanders this year and next. Is anyone else?

A Couple

Here are some of mine from the past 2 months...

Attachments

• Bloom Closet - David Russell Photography--Greer and Patrick 10-2009-005.JPG
    Bloom Closet - David Russell Photography--Greer and Patrick 10-2009-005.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Bloom Closet - David Russell Photography--Greer and Patrick 10-2009-011.JPG
    Bloom Closet - David Russell Photography--Greer and Patrick 10-2009-011.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 29
  • ast_0315.JPG
    ast_0315.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 31
  • st_0448.JPG
    st_0448.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Bloom Closet - David Russell Photography--Greer and Patrick 10-2009-006.JPG
    Bloom Closet - David Russell Photography--Greer and Patrick 10-2009-006.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 29
I have dont a TON of them this year both as flower girl pomanders:thumbsup and also hanging from chairs.. I just love them~~

Tracy, you must have HUGE arms, a ton is like a lot of weight.

I have converted to using styrofoam orbs for pomanders. A bit more expensive they are lighter and a heck more durable, easier to store and transport.

I haven't done a pomander in quite a while, but the last ones I did, I used a technique ( learned from another old-timer ) that made the pomanders super lightweight and easy to carry. The florist I learned this from got her start back in the industry just after the second world war.

The technique is to create a series of tulle/net poufs/fans, gather them into a ball, and use oasis adhesive to glue the flower heads directly to the netting and then spray everything down with crowning glory.

She told me this is what they did years ago just after the war and flowers were difficult to obtain in quantity......so they did these balls of netting, glued the flowers and ribbons on, and called them "Ballarina bouquets"

Anyway, I remember I used spray roses, gypsophilia, stock florets, gladiola florets, and pixie carnation heads in the pomanders and they turned out great, super lightweight, and they held up well.

I haven't done a pomander in quite a while, but the last ones I did, I used a technique ( learned from another old-timer ) that made the pomanders super lightweight and easy to carry. The florist I learned this from got her start back in the industry just after the second world war.

The technique is to create a series of tulle/net poufs/fans, gather them into a ball, and use oasis adhesive to glue the flower heads directly to the netting and then spray everything down with crowning glory.

She told me this is what they did years ago just after the war and flowers were difficult to obtain in quantity......so they did these balls of netting, glued the flowers and ribbons on, and called them "Ballarina bouquets"

Anyway, I remember I used spray roses, gypsophilia, stock florets, gladiola florets, and pixie carnation heads in the pomanders and they turned out great, super lightweight, and they held up well.

I did these for a couple of wedding this summer... they are great! Light weight and the Brides loved them!

I will be selling more of these this year.

Here is a wedding from this past September.. The bride and family (mom)were overjoyed with the flowers. It was a great wedding for a very good customer.. this picture doesn't do the flowers justice. I hope to get better ones.

Attachments

• holly hewitt wedding Web.jpg
    holly hewitt wedding Web.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 67

Love to see one of these tulle pomanders, anyone have a picture? I'm thinking they would also make great pew decorations.

Funnest wedding of 2009 for us

One of the funnest weddings of the summer for us... both were writers for the local newspaper and we ended up getting thanked in a column she wrote.... great P.R..... a fun couple ... bright colors .... what more could a florist ask for?

Attachments

• wedding kukkonen 5.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 5.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 36
  • wedding kukkonen 6.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 6.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 35
  • wedding kukkonen 4.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 37
  • wedding kukkonen 3.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 40
  • wedding kukkonen 2.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 37
  • wedding kukkonen 7.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 7.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 36
  • wedding kukkonen 9.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 9.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 42
  • wedding kukkonen 10.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 10.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34
  • wedding kukkonen 11.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 11.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 37
  • wedding kukkonen 13.jpg
    wedding kukkonen 13.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: LOTAKIDS and Palms
Made a few of the pomander's this past weekend just for fun. I was amazed and surprised by the light weight. Made one with a mix of wired ribbon and tulle that I thought had alot of potential. They are so much fun to swing around too....hehe.

Brad, I clicked on your attachment.... wouldn't let me look.